Tuesday 4 August 2009

Yes, but is it art?

Tracey Emin has carved a niche,
and that niche is best described
as "If I'd dared
submit this
for Art A-Level
I'd have got a
D minus".

You either love it
or
loathe it,
but it is work about which
everyone has
an opinion.

Some could argue,
and quite convincingly,
that Emin is trying
too hard to be
controversial
and were she to actually
present traditional pieces
of art
(i.e. ones in a frame,
hung on a wall)
she would still be a
complete
unknown
also-ran.

Were I to nail
a dead rabbit to
a polystyrene bock
and then float it
in a barrel
(on which were scrawled
in emusion
the names
of the people with whom
I was at infant school)
of olive oil
I could be
the next
Tracey Emin.

but is that art?


From an Amazon.co.uk customer review of The Art of Tracey Emin

No comments:

Post a Comment